November 12, 2010

Cold and flu season is officially here!

Yesterday was a 3 cup of coffee kind of morning!

Rickybear was fine all day Wednesday, but once nighttime came my baby announces to me that he officially has a cold.  Maybe he understood that I had the next day off of work so I could take care of him.  We turned on the humidifier and rubbed his chest with Baby Vicks.  I had aspirated his nose and he seemed all clear.  I laid him down to sleep… and he starts crying and choking and sputtering.  I tried to soothe him with hugs, kisses, and a bottle, but nothing seemed to work.  He was just not happy.  I ended up giving him some Tylenol and we both tried to sleep again. 

He ended up waking up and crying about every 20 minutes all night long.  I was running on very little sleep and I was going through some internal turmoil.  I was ticked off that I couldn’t get any sleep, I was sad and concerned for my little man, I was angry that my husband was still sleeping through it all while I did all the work, then guilty for feeling upset about something my lil man couldn’t control.  At 5 am I ended up putting Rickybear on my chest and he slept for nearly 2 straight hours, which was his best sleep of the night. Once he woke up he was all sweet and groggy, then he broke into a huge grin.  We had survived.

If I didn’t know better, I would swear that he was a big faker.  He was in great spirits all day on Thursday.  He played and jumped and watched tv and read books.  He napped with no problem.  He even did tummy time for nearly 3 times as long as usual.  I cleaned the nursery, the living room, and the kitchen, while cooking 3 meals.  I felt like super mom!  Until bedtime that is…

We try to put the baby down and he starts crying again.  OMG!  He was fine all day!  Yes, I had to aspirate his runny nose every hour and rub Vicks on his chest, but he was happy ALL DAY LONG.  Hubby and I talked about it and decided to just let him sleep with us for the night.  I took very special care to arrange the pillows and blankets properly, but I was still terrified that I would smother him.  Again, we all survived.  He woke up a lot, but he didn’t take his usual 2am bottle.  He ended up with his head by daddy and his legs kicking my ribcage.  OF COURSE it couldn’t have been the other way around, lol!  When he wasn’t laying sideways he was all smooshed up next to me, breathing into my neck.  Such a sweet little boy!  Again, all smiles this morning.

He is spending the day at Nana’s today.  I hope he has a better night tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment