November 20, 2010

Baby food, here we come!

The big day is almost here!  My lil man will be 6 months old on Thanksgiving Day!  While I can’t imagine that he is that old already, it certainly does feel like I have always had him in my life.  Having a baby is a wonderful thing.  He can brighten my day like no one else can. 

He has a special treat coming for his half birthday- he is going to begin solids!  I am so excited about it, but I am also fully aware that he probably won’t even eat the first few times that we attempt to feed him.  He seems to be showing me cues that he is ready.  He shows interest in what I am eating and we have been practicing giving him formula with a spoon just to get him used to the idea.  My plan is to give him avocados first, followed by other green veggies.  I don’t feel the need to give him rice cereal, and I want his first foods to be more nutritious.  We are planning to make our own baby food.  It is obviously less expensive and by doing this I know exactly what my child is eating.  No fillers or additives.  Since I have been following the E-Mealz meal plans, we have been eating a lot more fruits and vegetables than normal.  It won’t be hard to feed him foods that I already have around the house- foods that we eat ourselves.  I want my child to be accustomed to having those yummy healthy foods around.  The only disadvantage might be the lack of DHA that is not in a lot of processed baby cereals, but I will find a way to make sure he still has it in his diet.  Since he will still be drinking Similac, which has DHA in it, I don't won't have to worry about it too much for now.

A few months ago I made myself a booklet based on information that I had found on the Wholesome Baby Foods website.  I absolutely love this site!!  This past Sunday I made a trip to Babies R Us to go buy ice trays to freeze my baby food in.  I was intending to buy Fresh Baby So Easy Baby Food/Breast Milk Trays, but of course their food prep section was a MESS and all I could find were the starter kits, which I didn’t need.  My sleeping baby and I probably spend 20 minutes just standing there staring at all the neat baby food making supplies that I didn’t even know existed.  All I had really researched before were The First Years Babypro All In One Baby Food Maker and Beaba Babycook Baby Food Maker, neither of which I was prepared to pay for, nor did they have fantastic reviews.

I had a lot of fun shopping.  I ended up buying a lot more than I had planned, but I still only paid around $50 for everything, and that’s a small price to pay.  So what did I buy??


2 comments:

  1. It seems like you could just use a blender instead of buying a fancy "baby food maker." I was going to mention the ice cube trays, a friend of mine has three kids and she uses that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have both a blender and a food processor, but I can't see lugging them out everyday. They also both are much harder to clean than these little plastic tools. I will use those for bigger batches, but these were too convenient not to get. Oh, and they are pretty. =)

    ReplyDelete