February 2, 2011

And baby goes bump...

I know it’s been awhile since I have given an update, but we are just enjoying our slobbery little monster, working on the house, and … just working.  I feel like I can work on the house every day and it’s still going to be a mess.  The floor always needs to be mopped, laundry always needs to be done, the fish/cat/baby/husband always need to be fed.  When the weekend gets here, I have the best intentions to get a lot accomplished, but I am honestly just beat and want to just CHILL and sit on the couch and play with the baby.

Last Wednesday we had a completely horrifying experience.  I only just now feel comfortable writing it.  But why have a blog if I can’t document everything that happens, good or bad?  I was home alone with the baby, playing on the living room floor, when it came to my attention that he needed a diaper change.  I took him into the nursery and started changing him on the day bed.  If you were unaware, changing an 8 month old is just as difficult and if you were trying to diaper a cat.  He kicks and flips and claws and speed crawls away.  That being said, I had given him a toy and he was actually pretty chill at the moment.  I had his diaper off and I reached over to get the A&D ointment and in that split second the baby had rolled a full turn, sat up, and plunged forward off the bed.  Directly onto his head.  I was RIGHT THERE but I couldn’t catch him.

I don’t think I could even breathe in those first few seconds.  He didn’t move or make a sound at first, but then his face turned blood red and he started howling.  This if the absolute worst feeling I have had since becoming a mom.  I didn’t even think, I scooped him up, threw on a new diaper, and literally ran to the car.  I was terrified that he had broken something or that he had a concussion.  That was a frightening 15 minute car ride to the ER, especially since I couldn’t see the baby since he is rear-facing in the backseat.  By the time I made it there, both of my parents were already waiting at the entrance.  I was still in tears, but honestly, once we got to intake, Rickybear was already flirting with the nurses.  Yes, flirting.  Giggling, talking, hiding his face with the blankie and then coming back up with a huge grin… good grief, child!

My FIL came soon after that.  By the time Rickybear and I were called to the back I was pretty sure that there was no permanent damage.  The PA checked him out and she was so great with him.  He stole her stethoscope and showed off his new skills (pulling up, speed crawling, etc.).  He checked out perfectly!  Not even a bump.  And his ear infection was also completely gone.  After we left there we went to go meet daddy so he could see for himself that his baby boy was fine. Such a relief.

I am so glad I took him to the doctor, even though if I had waited 15 minutes I might have known he was ok and not had to worry the entire family.  On the other hand, if I had waited and he had brain swelling and I didn’t know it, then time is a huge factor in the outcome.  I would much rather be safe than sorry.

Since then I have been trying to appreciate the family that I have.  It’s easy to let the little things bother you and blow themselves out of proportion, but the bottom line is that we are all in this for the long haul and we need to make sure that we are the happiest and healthiest that we can be.  It’s going to be a lifelong struggle and will take a lot of hard work to be the best that we can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment