April 27, 2011

Similac Go & Grow


Beginning at one year, Rickybear can transition over from infant formula to whole milk.  It sure would be a lot cheaper, but based on some of the research I have done, I think that I will continue giving formula for at least a little while longer.  I worry that if I let him drink milk, he might no longer take the formula, so I might hold off on milk altogether. 

Both Similac and Enfamil make formula specifically designed for older babies.  Since Rickybear doesn't seem to like Enfamil anymore and only drinks Similac, I think I will use their stage 2 product (although I do have a few cases of Enfamil's Enfagrow to try just in case). 

The main reason I want to continue with formula is to ensure he gets the best nutrition available for as long as possible.  I know toddlers are some of the pickiest eaters EVER, so even if he lives on crackers for a month or two, as long as he gets his sippy cup of formula twice a day, he should still be on the right track.  He would be getting more iron and other nutrients that he would with whole milk.  Plus, formula contains DHA and ARA (hello, brain and eye development!), which he would certainly not be getting in his diet otherwise.

Here is some information I have found:

The  formula has:
  • DHA (Omega 3) and ARA (Omega 6) for brain and eye development
  • Calcium for strong bones - no palm olein oil
  • Nucleotides to help support the immune system
  • Prebiotics to help promote digestive health
  • Carotenoids naturally found in breast milk
  • Same unique fat blend as Similac Advance EarlyShield™ to promote greater absorption of calcium
  • Over 25 essential minerals and vitamins
  • 30% Daily Value* for calcium in 8 fl oz for growing bones
  • 32% Daily Value* for iron in 8 fl oz for brain development
  • 48% Daily Value* for vitamin C in 8 fl oz, an important antioxidant
  • 48% Daily Value* for vitamin E in 8 fl oz
  • Complements nutrition provided by table food

Similac Go & Grow —
A Complement to table food and milk
FoodPercent of Daily Values per serving||DHA/ARAEarlyShield®
IronCalciumVitamin E
Cow's Milk (whole) (8-fl-oz)1%35%2%  
Applesauce (6 oz)4%1%15%  
Mac & Cheese (1/2 c)3%7%0%  
Chicken Sticks (approx 1/3 c)11%7%4%  
Banana (4 oz)3%1%2%  
Similac Go & Grow
Milk-Based Formula (8-fl-oz)
32%30%48%Similac Go and Grow EarlyShield Milk Based Formula contains DHA and ARASimilac Go and Grow EarlyShield Milk Based Formula contains EarlyShield Blend For Immune Support


So, yes, I have bought into the "hype".  Despite Abbott Laboratories feeding my baby crushed beetles with his formula (and yes, Rickybear was SO SO SICK from it), I think they are an outstanding company.  They handled the recall well.  I got all of my money back from the affected product, plus some (I always used a coupon or rebate check to buy my formula), and I feel that their quality measures are better than ever as a result.

Does anyone else plan to do the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment