April 14, 2011

Make yourself comfy, boy!

My son sure knows how to kick back and relax when he wants to!



Teething is not fun.  I am missing my sleeping thru the night baby.  He just can't seem to get comfortable.  I feel so badly for him.  He hates when I put Orajel in his mouth, but I know if has to feel better after I do it.  I put some frozen apple slices in the strainer yesterday and let him mash on those.  I don't know if it helped, but it resulted in apple juice running all down his face/neck/chest/onesie, so he ended up having his second bath of the day after dinner.  My child is a huge fan of bath time!  He was in there for about 30 minutes and didn't look ready to get out, but mommy was tired!  Daddy arrived home in time to sit with him, too, and watch him play.  It's the little moments, you know?

We have started letting him eat more and more table foods as long as they aren't salty.  Hubby swears the baby's mouth waters when he watches daddy eat dinner at night, lol.  My MIL cooks wonderful Mexican food, so he has been munching on her rice and beans.  My mom made jambalaya for us this week and so he had some of the chicken and rice in that for a few days.

Since my baby boy no longer lets me spoon feed him, he is pretty much purely eating finger foods.  I like to make all his food from scratch, but since I have been trying to give him more table foods, I have loosened up a bit.  I would prefer to steam my own carrots/green beans/etc. but I have been looking closely at some of the canned veggies at the store for ingredients and nutritional content.  I usually open up a can of some sort of veggie to serve with dinner when I cook and I usually just pick up the store brand of whatever I feel like grabbing.  This past week I spent a lot of time in the aisle and realized that the store brands do make no salt and no sugar added veggies.  Furthermore, a lot of my favorite veggies have only water listed as the other ingredient!  I can spice them up myself after I spoon out Rickybear's portion.  So he is getting some canned peas (he hates the texture when I buy fresh or frozen), carrots, and limas this week.  Before I know it he will be munching down on chicken tenders (OMG!).



2 comments:

  1. I really need to re-evaluate what we eat at home. Now that Olivia is not wanting to be fed and wants to put her own food in her mouth we give her what we eat but honestly, we eat very unhealthy. I keep thinking about all the time and effort I put into making purees and now it's like a processed parade .... she gets it at daycare too. Now I could send homemade food to daycare but the food there is no additional cost and considering how much we pay (it's one of the most $ in our area because of the webcams) I just can't see not taking advantage of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be hard for me to pay extra to pack a lunch if she already gets food included in the daycare price. What do they typically feed her? Maybe you can just send one fruit or veggie a day to add it in.

    Ricky has been refusing some things and I was trying to add some more fat to his diet, so I have been sauteeing some veggies in organic unsalted butter and he seems to really like it.

    ReplyDelete