December 8, 2010

Family means everything...

On Monday I met a woman in the grocery store checkout line that really left an impression upon me.  She was cheerful and upbeat, but she shared with me that she had recently lost her husband.  Last year, she also lost three other relatives, including a parent.  She told me that it’s the little things that she misses the most about having a partner- having someone to help bring in the groceries from her car, change a light bulb, or reach something off of the top shelf for her.  She was shocked at how hard it is to live by herself.

A widow at 60 years old.

She misses the companionship.  She went directly from living with her parents as a young girl to being married and living with her husband.  She has never been alone before and her children have no time for her.  Her son lives out of state and her daughter lives nearby, but has the grandchildren in so many extracurricular activities that there is no time for visits from grandma.  She wanted to imprint upon my heart that life and family are precious, and to always appreciate them.

I get so dragged down sometimes by the day to day tasks in life.  It seems impossible to balance everything and still feel fulfilled myself.  Working full time with a commute.  Maintaining a home.  Cooking all the meals.  Being a good wife.  Being an attentive mother.  It feels so hard sometimes. 

Sometimes I feel like I do it all myself, but honestly, I know I take my husband for granted.  One day I will wake up and he will no longer be here.  I know that my life is better for having him in it… and without him, I wouldn’t have my beautiful-wiggly-smiley baby boy!


I am thankful for the life I have and the special people who share it with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment