March 6, 2012

Rickybear Update

I know that I have family members waiting to hear about the illnesses that we have had in our household lately, but I have been way too busy to keep up with the blog like I should!  I will start off by saying that everyone seems to be well again!  KNOCK ON WOOD!

Ricky had a cold that lasted about 3 weeks total. For the first week, he had fever on Thursday and Friday. He alternated between clear drainage and a stuffy nose. Had a nasty cough, which caused him to throw up several times. At one point, I tucked him into bed with all of his "friends" (Tigger, Pooh, and Eeyore) and he apparently turned his head and threw up all over the bed/comforter/pillows, then laid his head right back down and fell asleep.  About an hour later, daddy found a nice surprise when he went to bed himself.  Yuck! 

He had a big loss in appetite. Throughout the course of the cold, we used Pediatex (.33mL) Benedryl (1.25mL) sparingly and Tylenol, as needed. The next Tuesday night he was hysterical after he was dropped off by my in-laws and I knew something just wasn't right, so I packed up both kiddos and went to Lake After Hours. It was determined that he had an ear infection (moderate in left ear, mild in right ear).  No wonder!  They didn't test him for RSV at the time.  He was given a 10 day dose of antibiotics and told to come back if he didn't get better. 

That Friday he went to see his regular pediatrician, who confirmed the ear infections and told us to keep taking the antibiotics and the Pediatex.  It took another 5-7 days, but Ricky is finally feeling better.  He was too excited over the weekend when we finally let him outside to swing.  I missed my ball of energy!

Here are some pics of him playing inside while recuperating:


No comments:

Post a Comment